2015-2016 VRA Foundation Professional Development Grant: Call for Applications
The Visual Resources Association Foundation (VRAF) is pleased to announce that it is accepting applications for two VRAF Professional Development Grants, one to support the advancement of an emerging professional and the other to support the work of an established career professional. These grants can be used to support conference attendance, enrollment in a workshop, or participation in research activities. More information, including the application form, is included below. For consideration, please submit your application by Friday, September 18, 2015, 11:59 Pacific Time. If you have any questions about the VRAF Professional Development Grant or the application process, and to submit your application, please contact Betha Whitlow, firstname.lastname@example.org. The recipients of the VRAF Professional Development grants will be announced by Friday, October 2, 2015.
The purpose of the VRAF Professional Development grant is to support professional development in the field of visual resources and image management. The grant can be used to attend a visual resources-related professional development opportunity of the grantee’s choosing (such as an association conference, symposium or workshop), or to enroll in relevant research activities (such as hands-on field work). In recognition of the differing professional development needs of the emerging professional versus the established career professional, two awards will be funded. One grant will be awarded to a student or new professional with up to five years of experience in the field, and the other grant will be designated for a career professional with six or more years of experience. At the discretion of the VRAF Board and with approval of the applicant, an application may be moved to a different category that better fits the experience criteria
. Please note that recipients of the award are required to submit a report outlining how the award contributed to his or her professional development within 30 days following the event.
· Applicants should be in the field of visual resources and image management, and may include retirees, the currently unemployed, or students seeking educational and training opportunities in support of broad access to cultural information.
· Membership in the Visual Resources Association is not required.
· Statements of financial need will be strongly considered.
Acceptable Uses of Award Money
· Transportation costs to and from the event venue
· Registration fees or tuition
· Required course materials (e.g., work books, DVDs)
· Meals – including meals in transit to and from the educational event
· Research expenses
Non-permitted Uses of Award Money
· Transportation for personal or optional outings
· Alcoholic beverages
· Personal expenses charged to hotel room (e.g., telephone calls)
· Other optional expenses (e.g., souvenirs)
· Indirect costs (a percentage of grant money taken by the grantee’s institution to cover perceived overhead)
1. Please provide a comprehensive budget and breakdown of your proposed travel, lodging, meal, and other expenses. Where costs are estimated, please explain (e.g., “roundtrip airfare on United as determined via Expedia search”; my lodging costs reflect an estimate for a shared room). If your institution requires you to use a specific airline, or has set a corporate airfare rate, please note this in the comments section.
2. Be as clear and complete as possible about other funding support you will receive or are applying for, such as from your home institution, or other grants and awards.
3. In your Conference Goals statement, please be specific and thorough in describing how certain conference workshops, sessions, and roundtables will directly benefit your work and your professional development.
4. Include a 1-2 page resume.
Please submit your application to Betha Whitlow, VRAF Director, email@example.com
Apply for an $850 professional development grant by September 16, 2016
Registration is now closed for the Feb. 19 Omeka workshop at Hunter College, CUNY