Friday, January 15, 2021
Spring 2021 VRA Foundation Professional Development Grant: Call for Applications
The Visual Resources Association Foundation (VRAF) is pleased to announce that it is accepting applications for the VRAF Professional Development Grant program. This program offers two $1000 grants yearly. This grant can be used to support conference participation, enroll in a workshop, for an online education opportunity, or for research activities. For consideration, please submit your application by Friday, February 12, 2020, 11:59PM Pacific Time. If you have any questions about the VRAF Professional Development Grant or the application process, and to submit your application here: https://forms.gle/tSQP6g5bMLHj7H2Q6 or please contact the VRAF Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org. The recipient of the Spring 2021 VRAF Professional Development grant will be announced by Friday, February 26, 2021, and must be used before February 26, 2022.
Purpose: The purpose of the VRAF Professional Development grant is to support professional development in the field of visual resources and cultural heritage information management. The grant can be used to participate in a professional development opportunity of the grantee’s choosing (such as a conference, symposium, workshop, online education), or to enroll in relevant research activities (such as hands-on field work or a site visit for scholarly purposes). Priority will be given to applications that include participation at a conference (giving a paper, teaching a workshop, chairing a committee, etc.); research that shows promise to lead to publication or contributes to the visual resources and cultural heritage information management community; to applications that can demonstrate that receiving the opportunity will have a broader benefit to an institution or region; and due to the Coronavirus, we encourage applicants to submit proposals that can be accomplished remotely. Applicants that have several professional development opportunities must fill out separate applications per event. Please note that recipients of the award are required to submit a report outlining how the award contributed to his or her professional development within 30 days following the event.
- Applicants should have a professional interest in visual resources and cultural heritage information management, and may include retirees, the currently unemployed, or students seeking educational and training opportunities in support of broad access to cultural information.
- Membership in the Visual Resources Association is not required.
- Statements of financial need will be strongly considered.
Acceptable Uses of Award Money:
- Transportation costs to and from the event venue
- Registration fees or tuition
- Required course materials (e.g., workbooks, DVDs)
- Meals – including meals in transit to and from the educational event
- Research expenses
Grant monies may not be used to cover indirect costs (For example, a percentage of the grant money/funding taken by the grantee’s institution to cover perceived overhead.)
- A goals statement outlining the opportunity, how it will benefit your work, and any potential contributions this opportunity may allow you to make beyond your own professional development.
- A comprehensive budget and breakdown of your proposed travel, lodging, meal, and other expenses. When costs are estimated, please explain (e.g., “roundtrip airfare on United as determined via Expedia search”; my lodging costs reflect an estimate for a shared room). If your institution requires you to use a specific airline, or has set a corporate airfare rate, please note this in the comments section. Be as clear and complete as possible about other funding support you will receive or are applying for, such as from your home institution, or other grants and awards.
- Your resume/curriculum vitae
Please submit an online application to be considered for a VRAF Professional Development Grant. *A Google account is required to fill out the application form.