August 11, 2020
Sponsored by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation and the Visual Resources Association Foundation
Registration is now closed.
A three-part online workshop hosted by the Visual Resources Association Foundation.
Aug. 31, Sept. 2, and Sept. 4, 2020, 3 PM – 4:45 PM EDT
Instructor: Shyam Oberoi
This three-part workshop will provide you with the background and tools to effectively organize, catalogue, and distribute your institution’s digital assets by introducing you to the core concepts of managing digital content. Participants will receive an overview of metadata standards, as well as how to manage, share, and publish digital content.
Topics covered will include:
- Best practices for metadata cataloging, crosswalks and controlled vocabularies; Linked Open Data (LOD), Resource Description Format (RDF), International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) and other preservation metadata and authoritative taxonomies
- Embedded metadata and associated embedding tools as related to the easy transfer of data
- Content management systems and digital delivery platforms, for a variety of types of digital content (online collections, library & archival content, scholarly publications, etc.)
- Workflows for successfully managing collaborative digital projects, including intellectual property and rights assessments, content distribution, and long-term archival storage.
- Successful project management strategies and tools for team collaboration.
SCHEDULE for the week of August 31, 2020:
- Monday, August 31, 3 PM – 4:45 PM EDT
- Data and Metadata
- Wednesday, September 2, 3 PM – 4:45 PM EDT
- Systems, Standards, and Delivery
- Friday, September 4, 3 PM – 4:45 PM EDT
- Managing Digital Projects
- Final Wrap Up
This workshop will be hosted using Zoom video conferencing. The link and password will be emailed to participants in advance. Recordings will be made available to registered participants for a limited time after each session. Lecture materials will be made available to registered participants following each session.
Shyam Oberoi is the Chief Digital Officer for the Royal Ontario Museum where he oversees the Museum’s digital and technology strategy. Before coming to the ROM, he was the Director of Technology and Digital Media at the Dallas Museum of Art, where he led the Museum’s digital and technical initiatives with responsibility for media creation, gallery interactives, technical services and mobile experiences. Among his successes was a multi-year project to comprehensively digitize every object in the DMA’s collection, and publish the entire collection online with extended scholarly content. Previously, Shyam spent nearly a decade at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, where he oversaw a team responsible for the archiving, cataloging, licensing and digital content distribution for the museum’s 2 million works of art. He is frequent presenter at museum and technology conferences including SXSW, American Alliance of Museums, Museum Computer Network (MCN), and has led a number of cross-institutional collaborative technology projects, including “Building for Engagement: Participation at Scale in Art Museums” funded by a National Leadership Grant from the IMLS. He has a B.A. in Computer Science from Manhattan College, and an M.A. in English from New York University.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
If you have questions about registration, contact Beth Haas, VRAF Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellations for the VRAF Regional Workshop will only be accepted until August 28, 2020. Until this time, registrants will be refunded their full fee minus a $25 service charge. After August 28, 2020, cancellations will not be refunded. While every attempt will be made to hold the workshop at the stated time, however, if the instructor is unable to hold the workshop at that time for any reason, the workshop will be rescheduled. Refunds of the registration fee will only be issued if you are unable to attend the workshop on the rescheduled date.
If you have general questions about the workshop, please email the Regional Workshop Implementation Team at email@example.com.